Total Simulator Training Control
Orchid® Instructor Station (Orchid® IS) is L3 MAPPS’ instructor station designed to assist the instructor in controlling the training environment while monitoring all aspects of trainee and simulator performance. Orchid® IS incorporates a state-of-the-art Java server, offering a portable, flexible, and functionally rich software solution.
Orchid® IS is an advanced and innovative simulation software package. Its modular design allows it to be integrated into any existing simulator environment or perfectly coupled with L3 MAPPS’ simulations. Orchid® IS comes with a full Windows-based desktop and tablet clients.
Designed with customizability and user ergonomics in mind, all standard windowing features are supported. High-resolution graphic pages, based on Orchid® GE graphics, create an intuitive and user-friendly interface which can be easily panned, zoomed and cropped for maximum versatility. Dynamic virtual panels and system schematics reflect plant states in real-time, using symbols, readouts, and colours to represent the current simulation status.
The scenario manager is an important discriminator of Orchid® IS. Utilizing a graphical flow-chart approach, scenario automation can easily be accomplished by performing actions and capturing them into the scenario in edit mode. This feature, which also incorporates error checking, allows scenarios to be created effortlessly by the instructors by dragging and dropping actions, malfunctions and other steps without any compilation or linking. The scenario manager includes an easy-to-use student assessment system.
Orchid® IS is also equipped with a user-friendly scenario-based testing (SBT) facility that simplifies data collection, archiving and report generation.
Well-integrated with the other Orchid® applications, Orchid® IS hosts all the Orchid® ME schematics dynamically, allowing the user to search and find any device or object that is part of the model. For example, the instructor could seek an individual fuse and disable it. In this way, the user can access all the model schematics to dynamically monitor and control the modeled plant systems and subsystems in the same way as the virtual panels, making Orchid® IS an ideal classroom tool.
- Intuitive and ergonomic graphical user interface
- Built-in security features
- Searchable malfunction/remote function menus
- Graphical scenario manager
- Trainee Performance Review for scenario-based student evaluation and record keeping
- Integrated panel diagnostics feature
- Online deficiency logger (with playback for deficiency resolution)
- Monitoring, plotting and data recording, including drag and drop capabilities, X vs. Y plots, comparison overlays, saveable workspaces and data export to 3rd party applications
- Automated regression testing feature (AutoTest)
- Ability to access all Orchid® ME graphics in run-time
- Support for various modes of operation: classroom mode, instructor mode, operator mode, engineering mode
- Customizable settings and instructor layout features
- External controls from Microsoft Office documents using ActiveX
- Advanced monitoring, plotting, and data recording features
- Easy to learn and use, reducing training of new instructors
- Convenient initial condition (IC) editor reducing simulator maintenance time and effort
- Reduced time and effort involved in regression testing
- Decreased configuration update time, leading to reduced backlog of simulator changes
- Single environment for use in full scope simulator and classroom simulator